Wednesday, September 30, 2015

My deep conditioning routine

Deep conditioning is a very important part of any hair care routine especially hair that has been chemically treated. What is the difference between a deep conditioner and a regular instant conditioner? Well, while an instant conditioner is applied and washed out instantly (hence the name), a deep conditioner is left in for a few minutes to several hours (sometimes even overnight) before being washed out. For a more intensive treatment, you may apply heat to your hair while conditioning. This opens up the cuticle and enables your hair to absorb more nutrients.
Currently, for my deep conditioning treatments, I use the macadamia deep repair masque. I apply the conditioner on towel dried hair, wear a plastic/processing cap and then put on my Gold and Hot conditioning heat cap. 

Gold and hot conditioning heat cap

Gone are the days when I had to drag out my very bulky babyliss hooded dryer (see below), go through the cumbersome process of setting it up and then have to bear it's noisiness for the 20mins I sat under it. I now use the gold and hot heating cap which is portable, fits easily in my suitcase, is easy to set up (actually, there is no 'setup' needed, you basically just put it on, plug it into a power outlet and wait for it to heat up). It is also silent, so while conditioning your hair, you can watch tv, have conversation, listen to music and generally engage in any activity to requires you to use your ears!


My babyliss hooded dryer


Gold and hot conditioning cap

I am not sure where you can get this heating cap in Lagos and/or Abuja but I am on the look out and once I have some info on where you can get it, I will update this post and let you know. That said, a good alternate to using a heating cap is using your body heat. To do this, wear a processing/plastic cap (see below) and then wrap your towel over it. This will trap your body heat and will have the same effect as a heating cap. Leave for 30 - 45mins and then rinse out.  You can also get some additional heat by dipping the towel in hot water before wrapping around your head.



If you don't have processing caps, you can use a plastic bag. Those little black ones work well. Just tie them around your head to prevent any dripping and then wrap a towel round it.

Notice how soft and pliable your hair is after you rinse out the conditioner? That's the best part.

Questions, comments, suggestions? Let me know in the comments.

Toodles!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...