Sunday, October 11, 2015

Hair update - Perils of Harmattan and Winter


In the past few months, my hair has suffered and I mean SUFFERED. First was harmattan in Lagos. This years harmattan was brutal for me. My skin was constantly dry, I was moisturizing every hour on the hour and by the top of the hour, my skin was dry again. My hair was dry too... well, at least, I imagine so, but that's one of the potential perils of protective/low manipulation styling. Your hair is hidden, no body sees it and you can kind of get away with neglecting it... and neglect I did. Then I came to Ottawa (Canada) to visit. Why I felt the need to wear my hair out in the dead of winter is beyond me but I took out my cornrows, my hair was breaking from being neglected, I washed and deep conditioned it, a few days later, I touched up my roots. Who does that?  My scalp burned, my hair broke. I spent the whole day and night detangling my hair. My guess is that I will have to cut off a good 4 or 5 inches. Sigh. I don't know for sure yet but right now, I am just focusing on giving my hair as much TLC as I possibly can. Here is what I have been doing:

- Co washing every other day with VO5
 I love that it doesn't have any silicones especially because I have been co washing only and don't plan to shampoo wash for a while. (silicones generally need to be shampooed out or they would cause build up)

- Applying olive oil after co washing



- Braiding in pigtails and tucking away under a lace wig, safe and away from the elements


 Braid while wet to reduce volume
Tuck under wig cap




Wear Lace wig






This is my plan until I get back to Nigeria. Kind of unfortunate because there are so many products that are currently not available in Lagos that I wanted to try out while I am here. But right now, I need to just treat my hair with staple products that I know she loves and leave her alone to recover as much as possible... And yes, I just referred to my hair in the third person. Don't you? :-)

xoxo
Bey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...